A few days ago I promised that this week’s T.I. would be a brobdingnagian farrago of deracination. Why ‘d I do that? To get your attention of course!
- “Brobdingnagian” means “huge.” Brobingnag is the place where giants live in Gulliver’s Travels.
- A “farrago” is an assortment, like a hodgepodge.
- And “deracination” is a delightful mouthful that means “pulling up at the roots.”
Catch my drift?
A Farrago of Deracination: Training Involution #143
- Write your own obituary. Not some stupid joke thing, but a real obituary. If it takes you less than fifteen minutes you didn’t sweat it enough. Read mine below. You are going to die. What do you want people to say about you when the day comes?
- Take your shirt off and train. Gents, go outside and take off your shirt. Ladies, go as skimpy as you can — staying within safety and legal limits of course. If you have not done this month’s constitutional twice, do it once now. If you have, complete Escape Plan Drill (instructions to both below). I’ve done this twice in the last few weeks, once as low as 40F, and I can tell you that it has a profound effect on your mind, body and spirit.
- What’s the point? Life is not about what you look like, or your toys, or your khakis, or any of that. Get beyond your skin, go past your comfort zone, embrace your impermanence — and go live the life you should be living.
Escape Plan Drill
Set timer for 1:00 intervals. Sprint for 1:00, then Shadowbox for 1:00 then pick a calisthenic and do as many reps as you can for 1:00. Repeat 4 more times for a total of 15 mins, picking a new calisthenic each cycle. Record total distance covered and total calisthenics reps in your training journal and beat it next time.
Feb 2019 Constitutional
Crunch’n’Punch (25/person or if solo, 50 Sit-ups with a Jab/Cross at the top)
Steam Engines (25/side)
Sprints (25 out/back)
Wall Touches (100)
Obituaries — Richmond Times Dispatch, 30 Sept. 2049
MITCHELL JR., ROBERT E. (“MITCH”) aged 88, of HENRICO, passed away on Tuesday Sept. 28, 2049 at his residence. He is survived by his wife of 50 years Karen; son Robert; three daughters, Tiffany, Amber and Morgan; five grandchildren, Kota, Shunta, Audrey, Ryder and Jack Jr.; and four great-grandchildren, Zeke, Ken, Aiko, and Mary. After thirty years in Credit and Accounting Management, Mitch retired, entered seminary, and was ordained as a priest in the Old Catholic line. Re-inventing himself as Father Mitch, he operated St. Barachiel’s, a local community chapel and civic center, for over 25 years. A world-renowned martial arts master and author, he was the founder of Bobcat Martial Arts, a frontier-styled martial arts club, as well as Cabal Fang Martial Arts, a non-profit martial arts organization with branches on three continents. He wrote over 50 books on a wide variety of topics, both fiction and non-fiction. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to St. Barachiel Chapel where services will be held on Saturday, Oct. 2nd at 2:00 PM, Bishop Alan Smithee presiding.