Today’s post is a grab bag of miscellaneous stuff.
A film review. Last night the wife and I watched Hidden, a truly original horror film with a couple of great twists. It stars Alexander Skarsgård, Andrea Riseborough (remember her from Birdman?) and Emily Alyn Lind. This is not a gore-fest or startle-flick. It’s a film. You remember films. right? Those things that have great acting and pacing and an actual story? Yes this is one of those. It only got 6.4 stars because horror fans want either SFX extravaganzas or buckets of blood and this film has neither. If your favorite horror move is Saw 3-D, you’re going to give Hidden only 6 stars. On the other hand, if your favorite horror move is Let the Right One In, you’ll give Hidden 8 stars. We loved it.
Penny wisdom, as a general rule, is bullshit. So called because it has been historically dispensed from vending machines for the princely sum of 1¢, penny wisdom isn’t wisdom at all. It is witty. Wit, cleverness and quip don’t equal wisdom. That being said, I’m famous (in my own mind at least) for several bits of penny wisdom that are worth considerably more than a copper coin.
- “Just because you can doesn’t mean that you should.” ~Robert Mitchell
- “Religious dogma, social convention, and philistinism are the hammer, tong, and anvil of mediocrity.” ~Robert Mitchell
- “The transmutation of the religious into the sacred is the very object of the occult sciences and, especially of initiation.” ~Andre Nataf
- “The meaning of life is not discovered; it is constructed.” ~Exupery
- “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.” ~Exupery
- “Our blight is ideologies – they are the long-expected Antichrist!” ~Jung
Your knife-fighting WOD is as follows.
Note: I did mine with a knife, but you can sub another weapon if you prefer.
Set a timer to beep every 1:00 min. Pick up a dull training knife and cycle through the following four times (20 mins total). First time through, knife in right hand in hammer grip, second time RH icepick grip, then LH hammer, then LH icepick.
- Gorilla Walking (on knuckles) – 1 round
- Shrimping – 1 round
- Knuckle Push-ups – 1 round
- Knife Shadowboxing – 2 rounds (plenty of kicks, punches, slashes, and stabs with good form and sincerity)
For the duration of the workout, count the number of times the live end of your dummy knife touches your body, the floor, or anything unintended. At the end of the 20 mins, complete 10 Get-ups for each flub (with dummy knife in hand, of course).