This is not a Buck Rogers ray gun — it is a work of art, a Thor model #5576 electric drill made in the 1940s by the now defunct Thor Power Tool Co. It belongs to an associate of mine. He brought it over just so that I could admire it, because he thought I would. And he was right.
Why did we stop making functional things beautiful?
And now for your three-part Cabal Fang Workout of the Day, as follows:
- Dumbbells. Each DB – 10% BW. AMSAYC in 8:00 of (8) ea. Pump Curls, (8) Squats and (8) Plank Rows.
- PTDICE. AMSAYC in 8:00 of (8) ea. Prison Push-ups, Bodybuilders and Squats.
- Kicks. 250 kicks AFAYC vs. heavy bag (25 with each leg of Knee, Stamp, Side, Round, Coup Italienne).
What’s the key? In martial arts, the key is drilling!
But on this blog, in the Cabal Fang WODs and in my personal workout log, this is the key — the key to all the abbreviations I use that is (some of which are borrowed from Crossfit™):
- A:AA/B:BB = Expresses rounds in terms of work and rest, so that “3:00/1:00” means (3) minute rounds with (1) minute breaks.
- A x B = “A” means number of sets or cycles, “B” refers to either the number of reps or the duration of rounds.
- AFAYC = As fast as you can.
- AHAYC = As hard as you can.
- AMAYC = As many as you can.
- AMRAYC = As many reps as you can.
- AMSAYC = As many sets as you can.
- ATG = “Ass to grass” in other words, get low into your squats!
- BW = your bodyweight.
- BT = “Body toughening” such as rolling shins, hitting the forging post and makiwara board, etc.
- CON = Contemplation.
- DB = Dumbbell
- DOC = Deck of Cards, standard challenge: red = Push-ups, black = Squats
- FPD = Full Pyramid, as in Ascending reps from (1) to the peak then back down to (1).
- FZG = a Full Ziggurat, a timed Pyramid, as in :30/:30, 1:00/:30, etc. up to 3:00/:30 and back down to :30/:30, for a total of 23 minutes.
- GH = grip health physical therapy and stretching.
- GS = grip strength training.
- H2TS = Head to toe stretch.
- HB = Heavy bag.
- HPD = Half Pyramid, as in Ascending reps from (1) to the peak, as in 1,2,3,4, etc.
- HZG = Half Ziggurat, a timed Half Pyramid, as in :30/:30, 1:00/:30, etc. up to 3:00/:30, for a total of 13 minutes.
- MED = Meditation.
- O7H = The Order of Seven Hills, my martial arts club, an order of Cabal Fang.
- PT = “Physical Training” or “Physical Therapy” depending on context.
- PTDICE = dice used to create calisthenics workouts that are available at PTDICE.com.
- PYR = Prayer.
- RB = Resistance bands.
- Reps = repetitions.
- SBX = Shadowboxing.
- STF = “Sets to failure” in other words, 3 STF of Push-ups and Jump Squats means that you do as many Push-ups as you can without resting followed by as many Jump Squats as you can without resting, and then repeat twice more for (3) full sets.
- TR = Temple Rites.
- WOD = “Workout of the Day.”