This week I’m broadcasting live from luxurious Tyler Hall dorm at Radford University in where I’m attending the Karate College 2019! This will be my fourth time — I’m a graduate of ’03, ’05, ’17 and now ’19.
Karate College is a fantastic event. For about $200 you get 2-and-a-half days of non-stop martial arts training from some of the best instructors out there. This year’s attendance is the lowest I’ve seen, which is scary. Come out and train people — you don’t know what you got ’til it’s gone!
FYI, Training Involution #163 marks a little bit of a turning point. From now on the weekly Cabal Fang T.I. is just going to be the T.I. Why? Because these T.I.s are also going to do double duty in my Bobcat Martial Arts program. No big announcement, no drama queen antics. Just sound martial principles.
If the drills are legit they’re applicable to every martial artist everywhere, not just to those practicing Cabal Fang.
Snake, Fish, Dog, Owl: Training Involution #163
The single most effective martial arts maneuver is running away. Not literally running, but getting the heck out of Dodge City, evading, hitting the road, saying bye-bye. A martial artist should be able to move. And when the situation is over, be able to sit still.
Set timer for 7 x 4:00 mins, no breaks.
- Rounds 1 & 2: Warm up thoroughly. Light to moderate activity, low-key calisthenics like Jumping Jacks, Push-ups on knees, Crunches, maybe some low-intensity Jumping Rope, etc.
- Round 3: Slither free like a snake. Get your floor bag or grappling dummy and start wrestling.¹ Back Bridge it, Neck Bridge it, and Reverse it. Squeeze, throw, and flip it. Stand it up on end and practice your Shots against it, etc. No striking — just wrestling — and no breaks longer than a 12-count.
- Round 4: Swim away like a fish. If you have access to a body of water, swim as fast as you can. If you don’t, get on the floor and do a dry swim. Alternate between Prison Push-ups, Swimmers, and Flutter Kicks. When you gas, take 12-count breaks in Elbow Plank position.
- Round 5: Run away like a dog. Cover as much distance as you can in 4 minutes.
- Round 6: Walk it off for 4 minutes. Get your heartbeat down to normal.
- Round 7: Watch like an owl. Now assume your posture of choice — seiza, lotus, half-lotus, cross-legged, sit in a chair, or have a seat in the grass and lean back against a tree. Spend 4 minutes just sitting. Don’t judge, don’t fantasize, don’t evaluate, don’t plan. Just sit.
¹ There’s no excuse for a martial artist not having a floor bag. Buy a used bag on Craigslist for $10 or make one.