“There’s no sense getting serious about my training until…”
Stop delaying. Stop surfing YouTube for the perfect training tricks, drills, tools and secrets. Stop combing magazines and books and websites searching for the perfect program or tool.
Strip away the bullshit. The training you do right now is 100% better than the training you put off until next week.
Shut your laptop, turn off your tablet or phone, and complete the training session below. Tired, weak, sore? Old? Rehabbing from an injury? I was all of those things when I did this training session. Modify the exercises to suit your limitations. Lower the weights, reps or intensity as needed. Anything you do is better than nothing.
Strip it down.
Drag Strip: Martial Arts Training Involution #199
* Warm-up thoroughly for at at least 8 minutes. I generally do 8 minutes of MBF or either 2-3 minutes each of (a) jumping rope (b) light calisthenics and (c) shadowboxing, forms, or light heavy bag work.
* 16 minutes of survival martial arts. Set a timer and complete 2 minutes each of Drags, Strikes, Shoulder Rolls, Strikes, IMT Sprints, Strikes, Drags and Strikes. Take as few 12-second rest breaks as you need to finish. For the the striking rounds, you can shadowbox, work a heavy bag, or do whatever you want. I did tomahawk swings, braces, toe and eye strikes and cocking drills. Here’s how the rest work.
- Drags: Go out to the shed or garage and find something to drag. Here’s a rig I made with a trashcan lid. Cargo straps make perfect harnesses.
- Shoulder Rolls: If you’re a martial artist and you don’t know how to do a shoulder roll, that’s a problem. Watch this.
- IMT Sprints. IMT stands for Individual Movement Technique, and it means running, dropping to avoid being targeted, and popping up to run some more. Read more here.
* “Stripping it down” meditation. Cool down for about 3 minutes, then set a timer for 10 minutes. Have a seat in your meditative posture of choice and regulate your breathing. Leave your eyes open, and do not fidget, wiggle or scratch. Now think about what makes you special. What makes you unique? Your favorite foods, colors, movies, books? Your behaviors, your little quirks? No, that’s just the bullshit that make you just like everybody else. Meditate past your mask and seek the “true I.”
If you enjoyed his training involution you’d probably enjoy my books and other products. Why not check them out?