No sparring allowed during the pandemic kids. You’re going to have to stay fighting fit via the solo training route. How? By doing stuff that’s as close to real fighting as possible of course!
Keep it real, keep it relevant, and keep it rigorous. REAL means you’re doing stuff that’s as close as possible to what real people do in real life. RELEVANT means that it relates to what you want to get better at. And RIGOROUS means that you are paying attention to doing the work properly in terms of technique and intensity.
The following involution was created using the Scufflin’ Dice program available in my web shop. Go get yourself some for just $9.99.
Sprawl ‘n’ Crawl: Martial Arts Training Involution #204
* Warm-up thoroughly for at at least 8 minutes. Do 2-3 minutes each of (a) jumping rope (b) light calisthenics and (c) shadowboxing, forms, or light heavy bag work, or 8 minutes of MBF.
* 15 minutes of floor bag work. Get out your floor bag (a heavy bag with the chains taped up) and set a countdown timer for 15 minutes.
- Sprawls. Lay floor bag on side and Sprawl with forearms to the bag 4 – 6 times based on your fitness level.
- Bear Walks: Approx 25′, 4 – 6 times based on your fitness level.
- Shots: Stand the bag on end, back up a couple of steps, and shoot in on the bag for a takedown. 4 – 6 times based on your fitness level.
- Bag Lifts. Get the bag from the floor to your shoulder any way you like. 4 – 6 times based on your fitness level.
- Bear Hug the bag: Stand up and squeeze with it with max power cutting bone pressure of the forearm until you gas out.
- Repeat until the timer rings.
* Contemplation. Cool down for about 3 minutes, then set a timer for 10 minutes. Assume your meditative posture of choice and regulate your breathing to insure a slow and consistent rhythm that completely fills and empties your lungs without bearing down on your breath. Eyes open. Gently allow your mind to empty and calm itself. Don’t make war with thoughts, just let them pass by, dissipating like ripples on the surface of a pond.
On April 30th my new newsletter SHIFT goes live. This is where everything I do will come together — my fitness work, my primitive skills and martial arts material, my management, coaching and financial advice, and of course my spiritual teaching. Sign up now to get tips, fun and inspirational articles, quizzes, meditations, exercises, and more — all 100% free — and guaranteed to shift you in a new whole new gear.