DID YOU KNOW…
- …that every mettle maker is an actual training session I completed during the preceding week (or when I’m on vacation a re-post from yesteryear).
- …that the weekly mettle maker, although supporting both of my martial arts programs, revolves around the two monthly focal points of Cabal Fang?
- …that every mettle maker contains four segments — martial, fitness, survival, and spiritual?
- …that I don’t sell ads, I’m not a content engine trolling for eyeballs, and you are not the product? If you like what you’re reading, buy my books or enroll in my programs. ‘Nuff said.
- That people who engage with the content by doing some of the work and/or posting in the comments have been known to get discount coupons for books and merch from Mitch’s General Store?
Fast and Dicey: Mettle Maker #238
- Warm-up thoroughly for at at least 8 minutes. Do 2-3 minutes each of (a) jumping rope (b) light calisthenics and (c) shadowboxing, forms, or light heavy bag work, or 8 minutes of MBF.
- 10 minutes of command and mastery with your weapon of choice. Select a dull practice weapon (wooden knife, tactical pen, stick, gun, cane, stick, whatever floats your boat) and set a timer for 8:00. Repeat the following until the timer beeps: Slip Ball or Air Strikes x 1o, Push-ups x 5, Reverses x 5 (if you can’t do your wrestling moves with your weapon in hand you have a problem), Standing Broad Jumps x 5. This drill was created with Command and Mastery Dice ©. Click here to get a set.
- 10 minutes of frontier fitness. Get yourself a sledgehammer and a sandbag and set a timer for 10:00. Climb a half-pyramid until the timer beeps of Shovels, Loads, Shoulder Rolls, and Air Strikes x 4 (Palms, Steam Donkeys, Caulks, etc.). This drill was created with Frontier Rough ‘n’ Tumble Fitness Dice ©. Click here to get a set.
- Bug-out heavy. Don’t assume you can quickly get out of trouble carrying a load. Slip on a backpack of at least #25 and hike for at least 20 mins. Do that weekly and work your way up to 1+ hours with #40+ so that, if you ever have to get out of Dodge you can do so. And, as an added bonus, it’ll make long hikes with light and medium packs really fun and easy when you go on adventures! See video below of my last adventure with my daughter Morgan and her fiancé Jack — it’s hilarious!
- Empty your cup. The idea is an ancient one. If you fast from food and improve your ability to control what you allow into your mouth, you will also control what you allow into your mind, heart, and spirit — and you might even be able to fill the empty space thus created with spiritual food and drink. This is why fasting is so prevalent in all traditional religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, and orthodox forms of Christianity. Assuming you have no precluding health conditions of course, try skipping one, two or even three meals (silly rabbit — breakfast actually means “to break your fast” after a whole day of not eating). Consider a permanent change, like one of the traditional fasting forms (such as abstaining from meat on Fridays) or giving up something that you enjoy but you know isn’t good for you — like soda, alcohol, candy, or tobacco. Some folks think that you can’t say “Yes” with all your heart without first learning how to to say “No.”
- If it ain’t in the training journal it didn’t happen. Do the work, the external and internal, and write about what you did and thought in your journal. Introspection, self-examination and measurement are the key to progress.
TWO MARTIAL ARTS DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAMS AVAILABLE. 100% free and operated through my non-profit, Cabal Fang is martial arts for personal development, self-defense and fitness. Bobcat Frontier Martial Arts is just $19.99/month and that’s your choice if you’re interested in Frontier Rough ‘n’ Tumble — the fighting arts, survival skills, lifeways and ethos of the colonial and indigenous peoples of North American during the frontier period (1607 – 1912). What are you waiting for — enroll today!