I saw a news report on TV last week about a house fire that began in a dryer duct. Then I remembered that one of my old friends suffered a house fire for the same reason back in the 90s. So I decided to clean ours out yesterday.
Yeah well, as you can see by the photo above, there was no cleaning it out. The hose was at least as old as the dryer, 70% clogged, the plastic was crispy dry-rotten, and the whole mess was basically a tinder bundle waiting for a spark.
I replaced the old plastic hose with a new aluminum one. And I encourage you to do the same.