Heads up! This week’s mettle maker contains a coupon code for free shipping at Mitch’s General Store so read on.
Telos: Mettle Maker #244
- Warm-up thoroughly for at at least 8 minutes. Do 2-3 minutes each of (a) jumping rope (b) light calisthenics and (c) shadowboxing, forms, or light heavy bag work, or 8 minutes of MBF.
- Do some purposeful fitness. What are you getting fit to do? How about real stuff in the real world. Set a timer for desired training length based on your fitness level and needs — I did 10 minutes for maintenance — and adjust weight of sledge and sandbags as well. Start timer. Do 10 Sledge Blows, 50 yard shoulder carry (I did #40 each shoulder), 25 weapon strikes per hand (I did live tomahawk strikes vs. a wooden pell), and 10 Step-ups (I used a 25″ box). Repeat until timer beeps. Created using Frontier Rough ‘n’ Tumble dice available at Mitch’s General Store. Use coupon code “SCUFF21” at checkout and get free shipping (offer good until 1/31/21).
- Yank drill. Don’t be one of those martial artists who fixates on fancy moves and neglects the blunt power of basic movements. Put a rope on your floor bag or heavy bag and practice yanking. Do not pull or reel. Yank with maximum violence. Imagine that you are pulling an attacker away from a loved one by taking hold of a wrist, arm, coat sleeve, shirt, etc. and yank with your entire body rather than just your arms. I try to put in a couple of rounds of yanking every week or two so that, if need be, I can yank as hard as a bayou ‘gator. If you’re doing it right, this is exhausting. Get there.
- Make fire using natural materials only. You can use a commercial lighter, but don’t use newspaper, sock lint, or anything manmade for tinder. I prefer cedar bark fluff and the bark of paper birch. If you need a little more detail see Chapter 7 of The Wildwood Workbook or, if you’re all at sea, sign up for the Bobcat Frontier Rough ‘n’ Tumble Program. And please be sure to build your fire safely — clear a large patch of dirt or build it in a fire pit, chimenea, fireplace, stove, camp fire ring, etc. away from combustibles and obey local ordinances.
- Review your 2020. Sit down with your journal or diary and take a hard look at last year. Did you achieve the things you set out to do? What were your successes and failures? Evaluate your metrics. Did you use the right measurements and tracking methods last year? How could you improve your metrics this year? I’ve made slight adjustments, but mainly my metrics are staying the same for 2021. You can view them here. If you don’t keep a journal or diary and you don’t have any metrics, then how do you establish your personal teleology?
TWO MARTIAL ARTS DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAMS AVAILABLE. 100% free and operated through my non-profit, Cabal Fang is martial arts for personal development, self-defense and fitness. Bobcat Frontier Martial Arts is just $19.99/month and that’s your choice if you’re interested in Frontier Rough ‘n’ Tumble — the fighting arts, survival skills, lifeways and ethos of the colonial and indigenous peoples of North American during the frontier period (1607 – 1912). What are you waiting for — enroll today!