Today’s post is a peculiar little potluck of nubbin ends.
Yesterday morning I got out my father’s watch and it gave me goosebumps. Once a month or so I get out his watch and wear it when I want to look nice. To my surprise, the watch had stopped at 5:05 AM. This is the exact time that nurses went to check on my mother and found her to be deceased. See photo set above. You will see a photo of the watch and a screenshot of the bounced call where the nursing home tried to reach me a half hour later. I don’t know what to say, so I’m moving on.
“[T]rees in the forest are social beings. They can count, learn and remember; nurse sick neighbors; warn each other of danger by sending electrical signals across a fungal network known as the “Wood Wide Web”; and, for reasons unknown, keep the ancient stumps of long-felled companions alive for centuries by feeding them a sugar solution through their roots.”
Amazing! Said it before and I’ll say it again: trees are people too, treants are real, Druids had it right, and people who cut down trees because they don’t want to rake leaves should be pummeled about the head and shoulders with the handles of their axes.
Very very early yesterday morning I had a delightful workout. Note: Just because you don’t see a WOD post on this blog doesn’t mean I didn’t work out and/or that you can’t see what I’ve been doing. My productivity log, which contains all my workouts, is a public Google Doc you can see here.
Yesterday’s Cabal Fang WOD:¹
- PTDICE² w/ #20 chain. AMSAYC in 10 mins of 8 Full Stop Push-ups and 16 Squats (I finished 8 sets) with a 20 lb chain draped around your neck. Calisthenics are the shit.³
- All-in Heavy Bag Drill. Place one heavy bag on floor about 2 meters or 6 feet from a second, standing or hanging heavy bag. Set timer for 8 x 2:00/1:00. Start timer. AMSAYC of 10 max power shots to standing bag, 10 shots to floor bag from mount, lock and roll to bottom position, 10 more shots. Repeat until timer beeps. Rest 1:00. Do that 7 more times for a 23-minute sweat extravaganza (24 minutes if you count the final 1:00 rest, but why would you, because the workout is over at the end of Round 8, now isn’t it?)
- Cabal Fang is the martial art I founded in 2009 (check it out!) and “WOD” stands for “workout of the day.”
- PTDICE are for sale here. Go get yourself some.
- If you like calisthenics, you might enjoy my Calisthenics eBook, The Calisthenics Codex (download it here in any format you like). By the way, it’s the #2 calisthenics eBook on Barnes & Noble.