We’re testing out HPP OTMs at the club this month. HPP stands for “Hold/Push/Pull” and OTM stands for “on the minute.”
How do our OTMs work? Well, I have a list of 12 exercises — that are as martial-arts-specific as possible! — which I have placed on three, four-sided dice (see photo above) so that I can select three of them at random.
The HPP OTM Protocol
- Select 3 exercises at random — one from the Holding List, one from the Pulling List and one from the Pressing List.
- Set timer for 1 min intervals.
- Perform as many reps of Exercise #1 as you can. At failure, rest until timer beeps, getting in position for the next exercise as you do.
- Repeat with Exercise #2. Again, when you reach failure, breathe deeply as you get in position for exercise #3.
- Repeat with exercise #3.
- Cycle through two more sets for a total of 9 minutes.
- Record your max reps of each exercise in your training journal to keep track of PRs.
- The beauty of this program is that as strength goes up the rest periods go down. I shrinks to fit!
|Holding List||Pulling List||Pressing List|
|Heavy Bag Back Bridge||Chin-ups||Sand Bag Overhead Press|
|Sand Bag Get-ups||Rope Climbs||Handstand Push-ups|
|Heavy Bag Reverses||Finger Pull-ups/Hangs||Heavy Bag Lifts|
|Heavy Bag Shrimps||Sand Bag Cleans||Sand Bag Thrusters|